[Geoserver-users] How to change favicon of geoserver?
Michal Zimmermann
2012-09-17 08:16:35 UTC
Hi when I run website from data_dir/www, it automatically comes with
geoserver's favicon (red letter "I" on blue background). Is there a
way to change it? I can't find the icon file anywhere in the geoserver
directory.
--
Michal Zimmermann (zimmi)
WWW: http://www.zimmi.cz
Andrea Aime
2012-09-17 12:24:52 UTC
Post by Michal Zimmermann
Hi when I run website from data_dir/www, it automatically comes with
geoserver's favicon (red letter "I" on blue background). Is there a
way to change it? I can't find the icon file anywhere in the geoserver
directory.
It is stored deep in one of the GeoServer jars, in this location:

https://github.com/opengeo/geoserver-2.1.x/blob/09e4443eaf6922f5483f5d74b1aff288a3371c65/web/core/src/main/java/org/geoserver/web/favicon.ico

If you add a new icon in
geoserver/WEB-INF/classes/org/geoserver/web/favicon.ico,
restart the server and refresh the browser you should get the new icon pop
up

Cheers
Andrea
--
==
Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054 Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 962313
mob: +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

umair muddassir
2014-05-16 23:56:52 UTC
sorry to start again this post after such a long time, I,ve been searching
for ways how to change the geoserver logo on main page with my own.. but yet
i am unable to find any solutions.. i have installed geoserver 2.5 on
tomcat.
i have tried to follow your instructions above but cant find the whole
directory
my direcoty adress is as follows:
...eoserver\WEB-INF\classes
after classes it goes empty.. kindly can you help me with this one
regards

Ben Caradoc-Davies
2014-05-19 05:22:32 UTC
Umair,

to follow Andrea's instructions, make an "org" folder inside "classes",
then a "geoserver" folder inside "org", then a "web" folder inside
"geoserver", then place your new favicon.ico in the innermost folder
like this:

WEB-INF/classes/org/geoserver/web/favicon.ico

Then restart tomcat.

What you are doing is placing your favicon on the Java classpath as
/org/geoserver/web/favicon.ico . Because the classes directory is read
earlier, you are overriding the default resource shipped with GeoServer,
without having to edit the jar file.

Kind regards,
Ben.
Post by umair muddassir
Hi,
sorry to start again this post after such a long time, I,ve been searching
for ways how to change the geoserver logo on main page with my own.. but yet
i am unable to find any solutions.. i have installed geoserver 2.5 on
tomcat.
i have tried to follow your instructions above but cant find the whole
directory
...eoserver\WEB-INF\classes
after classes it goes empty.. kindly can you help me with this one
regards
Software Engineer
Australian Resources Research Centre
umair muddassir
2014-05-22 20:44:36 UTC
Dear Ben,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I tried create all those
directories and place my favicon over there, restarted the server, but no
changes happened.
I am not interested to change the favicon, my real objective is
to change the logo of geoserver which is displayed on the top left corner of
main page where geoserver ask to insert username and password. kindly
explain to me how can i do that.

Regards Umair.

Ben Caradoc-Davies
2014-05-26 01:44:10 UTC
Umair,

the GeoServer logo is /org/geoserver/web/img/logo.png
in gs-web-core.jar (web-core.jar in older versions) in WEB-INF/lib.

You can either edit the jar file or build from source (see the developer
guide).

GeoServer has no user interface for "skinning" (changing the style) of
its administrative interface. Typical use of GeoServer is to provide
services that are consumed via other portals that apply their own skin.

Kind regards,
Ben.
umair muddassir
2014-05-28 10:12:25 UTC
Dear Ben,

Thanks a lot for your help. the path you gave me successfully worked.
I am highly obliged. thanks once again..

Regards
Umair.